Let's Take a Field Trip

George in Independence/Kansas City:   April 24, 1907
Rose about 5:30 am.  Washed my feet.  Prayer with Elder Harris.  He then took me on to the Temple Lot.  This is a beautiful place--quiet and pleasant.  Agreeable to the eye.  I felt it a privilege to be in this land which the Prophet of the Lord designated as the center stake of Zion.  I arranged to make a picture of the mission home, when the instrument was blown over and so damaged by the wind that I could not make the picture.  I went to Kansas City.  Very windy all day. Supper at the mission headquarters and then to the office to assist with the mail.  They sent twelve sacks today.

Val:  April 24, 2013
Dude, have you heard of OCD?  It is a behavior for folks who struggle getting past certain fixations?  I think you have it.  You seem to be concerned with the cleanliness of your feet.  Just the night before you washed your feet to refresh them.  How dirty could they get in bed all night?  My boy has a therapist if you want her number. Just sayin'. 

I like how you roll.  I read with interest that your camera (the MAJOR player in this mission you are serving) blew over and broke so you took yourself on a field trip to the city to check out "for a penny to make a plate with your name on it, listen to popular songs, and test strength."  Procrastination is something we know about in this house.  But I won't rat anyone out (Mr. Fun).

April 24th has been a special day for me for the last 25 years.  It was the day I was baptized a Mormon in Anchorage.  It was a hard decision for me.  My friends were mad.  My parents didn't get it.  My boyfriend freaked out.  Initially, it was a very hard period for me.  

I read that you were baptized on 6 Jan 1869 in Salt Lake.  To Mormon immigrant parents, George and Mary Ann.  Did you know there is a strange story that comes with them?  After they immigrated (or is it emigrated? I can never remember), they crossed the plains in a wagon train.  The irony is that their wagon train leader was Brother Andrus.

So what about it, you say?  Well, besides being known for the first stake president in St. Louis as well as having about 1,000 wives (just kidding, it was only 999--jk), and of course being Mr. Fun's grandfather (and for bragging purposes, Mr. Fun comes from the first wife), Milo was that Brother Andrus.

So, Mr. Fun's great great grandfather lead my dad's great grandparents across the plains.  They knew each other.  They traveled together.  They were hungry together.  They shivered at night together.  They danced by the fire together and maybe they buried the dead together.

It must have been disappointing for George and Mary Ann to have some of their children stay Mormon and some leave the Church, my dad's grandmother being one of them.  The same said woman who gave you the journal you recorded your story of your mission in.   The same journal that I am taking your story from.  Isn't it weird how full circle life is?  When I joined the church, we had no idea that my dad was a descendant of any of you, little lone from Mormon pioneer stock.

Life for me has come so far since those first few months I joined the Mormon Church.  I married a Mormon.  I have Mormon kiddos.  I have Mormon friends.  I served as a Mormon missionary (including the walking and biking they are known for).  I have Mormon volunteer work.  And I have a testimony of Jesus Christ, who I believe to be the Saviour of mankind because I fell in with the Mormons.

This year was extra nice for me.  Jimmy, the tile guy, came over to grout my kitchen counters and walls.   And the highlight was Brother Smith stopped by.  From Alaska....as much as one stops over from there.  He and I have been friends for 24 years...and while I do not eat fish eyes and think they are good, we have the most important pieces of life in common.  Loving people and sharing our hope in an eternal future with God.  

One more thing.  Mail.  Do we know some mail in this house.  Not only do we know our mailmen's name of that last two homes we have lived (shout out to Blaine and Mark), but The Girl and I are singlehandedly keeping the US Postal System working.  I have always loved to send a great postcard or thank you.  The Girl, well, she is surely motivated.  At least for another 13 months and 20 days, give or take.  Boyfriend Jon, like you, is serving a mission.  In Salt Lake City (shhh....we don't say it out loud).  So you are here and he is there.  Weird, eh?

And in closing, let me just say that she would pay good money for twelve sacks of mail from him.  :)

Love
Valsy

Comments

  1. I have two nephews in different Salt Lake City missions. I can't remember which two, though. Elder Scott Cleveland is in SLC South but I can't remember which one Elder Sam Pew is in. Maybe he knows the girl's boyfriend? Their families live in Maryland and Texas, and they got sent here--where one set of their grandparents and some of their aunts, uncles, and cousins live. We have all been good and haven't gone looking for them...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Sherpa Pem, Can You Find My Pants?

One Does Not Simply Drive Into Far West