The "Eyes" (and Knees) Have It

Dear Uncle George,

Some pairs just don't make great couples.

Richard Burton and Liz Taylor, for example.

wedding two

But some pairs do.  Like knees and eyes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You don't really see the eyes and knees paired up very often.  At least, not in everyday, ordinary life.

But since becoming a missionary, I have figured out a couple of things.  One, wearing a name badge draws some attention.  Two, everyone wants to have a mission call that involves wearing shorts, listening to music, and doing the Facebook whenever they want.

But one of the most important things I have learned is that I need both my eyes and knees.  Working together.  At the same time.

It's not what you think.  They are not a great pair because they have some torrid, unhealthy connection discovered on a movie set (see above couple).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I got my eyes from my great-grandfather, Conrad, a German from Russia.  They have always been big and brown.  My foster sister, Juni, used to say they looked like cow eyes. And sometimes, it is true, I use them for my own selfish gain. I mean who doesn't bat them lovingly to get some truffles?



Who can deny this face?  

One drawback about having my cow eyes, I also have the same kind of cow facial whiskers.  Man, do I love being middle-aged!  

My knees have been useful to me, as well.  As a fast pitch softball catcher since I was a kid, I spent a lot of time crouched down.  My knees took the brunt of those years, but even still, they continue to serve me well.

The "so what?" of this observation?

My eyes and knees, unexpectedly, need each other.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have come to the realization that for me and my mission work, my eyes need time....time to listen.

I have found, much like you, that I am doing better photography when I am alone. When I have time to wander around, time to think, contemplate, and time to listen, I do better.  I can listen to God's voice, hear the wind blow, and see the sunshine through the leaves.  I do better when I feel like no one is waiting on me. They don't have to sit in the car, waiting for me to get it right.

What happens after I "hear" what my eyes should hear?

That is where the knees come in.

Sometimes, the right shot isn't in the middle of your body range.  You have to get down....not in a hip hop, gangster sort of way, even though I will say on this trip I did learn who Flo Rida is.

 5 days into the trip

An example of what a shot from the 5 day knees looks like

13 day knees into the trip


A shot from 20 days into the trip--
I didn't have the heart to take a picture of the knee carnage
 but suffice it to say that the best thing I can report is that I still have knees

I know it sounds strange to be thankful for body parts, but I am.  Without the eyes to listen, I could not aim the camera and push the button.  Without the knees, I could not get to the angles that my eyes see.

And without the internet, I would have never learned the dis functionality of the stars of Cleopatra. 
Love
Sister Val

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Sherpa Pem, Can You Find My Pants?

No Rich Men In Richmond

One Does Not Simply Drive Into Far West