The Queen of Cow Towns

Written by Uncle George:  April 27, 1907
Feel very well satisfied with the record made of the temple lot pictures.  This eve visited the main business part of town.

Val:  April 27, 2012
My day, today, seemed to be connected to dead men.  Not that I am a "deadist" like being a "racist" or a "ageist" but it is a bit disturbing to be spending your day thinking about not only one, but two dead guys.

Fortunately, I had to The Girl with me so it made it feel less weird.

Love note to dead man #1

You are ready to hit the road and get the "hell (uh, Mr. Fun...I'm quoting) out of Dodge" as my dad would say.  For years I wasn't sure that Dodge was a real town.  It is a real place, found in the great state of Kansas.  Since moving to the mid west,I have brushed up on my geography.  I can hear The Girl now..."You don't know where Dodge is?  What did they teach you at school in Alaska?"  Well, why did I care to know where Dodge is?  I was in Alaska.  Now, Nebraska and it's farm strong folks....that is of interest to me (maybe be Alaska and Nebraska rhyme)  Dodge....no use for that knowledge.

She had the same reaction when I learned that Julius Caesar was a real guy (a couple weeks ago).  I thought it was just a title like "President."  No one here was named President.  And imagine if that was their name and they won the office of President they were be called President President.  But as a side note, don't bring up the President or anyone else who works for the government.  Sore subject this week.

Dodge is also otherwise known as the "Queen of the Cow Towns."  For reals.  It just doesn't have the same ring, does it?  "Let's get the hell out of the Queen of the Cow Towns."  I can't see my dad saying that.

This day was a Saturday so I wanted to make a pit stop and give you one last Independence shout out.  But it didn't start well.

The freeway was closed.

Instead a mass of folks for the group picture, I had one.  The Girl, who is still questioning my intelligence.



I hit every light on the freeway-closing detour (holy cow, significant first world problems).

And I was in a hurry.  "Oh Val, do tell us why!"

I was the guest speaker at a Hospice Luncheon.  And I had the picture frames that had the gifts for the guests.  They were framed prints, and even in the back of the tight-spaced Mini, they still slide all around.  I was waiting for one of them to careen into the back of my head.  And The Girl thought I was dumb before.

My talk was about care giving our bestie:  Tom.

There are a number of blog entries in another space if you are so inclined to find it, but suffice it to say it was an honor to speak of him.

Here is a great picture of him.  Before he got sick.

I guess the Hospice folks think our story is a good example of a good example because after this luncheon, I spoke at their company retreat for 400 and then later sat on a panel of religious diversity.  There was the Amish, a Jew, a Muslim (who refused to sit next to me) and me, the Mormon.  Sounds like we should be walking into a bar or something, right?  :)  Which none of us would, I think. But I don't know. We didn't discuss that at the panel.

Speaking of drinking, the day was so long that when I got home, I had not one but TWO virgin pina coladas.  One for each hand.  An idea I learned from a song by Garth Brooks I heard on my radio...I bet a song the Amish don't know (radio...get it? he he)  

This picture isn't of that day--it wasn't my first time, but you get the drift.  The Girl is "photobombing" me.  Notice her hand?  I can't tell you what that means in Alaskan terms, but suffice it to say that some drunk guy explained it all to me when I was waitressing the night shift at the local town cafe.  And all I can say is "oh my."


One more thing about this trip...I forgot the camera.  Hello, the whole point of this mission.

Sadly, this is not the only time I will forget to bring the camera when going to your history site.  I think I forget because my brain is swimming in important knowledge like where Dodge is and would my dad would really say "Queen of the Cow Towns."

Love,
Valsy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Sherpa Pem, Can You Find My Pants?

One Does Not Simply Drive Into Far West

Let's Take a Field Trip